Adding a newborn to your family can be an incredibly joyous experience, but it can also be immensely stressful impacting one's mental health and wellbeing. Perinatal mental health is an important aspect of maternal and child health which requires prompt diagnosis and treatment.
WHAT WE DO
- Treat perinatal mental health conditions by providing in-person and virtual therapy.
- Conduct outreach and establish ourselves as a referral source to organizations who work with new or expecting parents.
- Provide continuing education training to healthcare professionals on a variety of topics including perinatal mental health.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THERAPY
One-on-one assessment with a therapist
Discuss your pregnancy experience
Develop an individualized treatment plan
Breastfeeding friendly clinic
Your baby is welcome to attend
WHAT ARE PERINATAL MOOD & ANXIETY DISORDERS (PMADS)?
PMADS is a medical term describing a variety of mental health conditions which can occur during pregnancy and anytime within 12 months following childbirth. Studies show that 1 in 7 mothers and 1 in 10 fathers experience severe mental health issues stemming from pregnancy.
- History of trauma or mental health issues
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Substance abuse & addiction
- Poor sleep hygiene
- Unrealistic parental expectations
- Difficult pregnancy, labor or delivery
- Parent of multiples
- Limited family & social support
- Breastfeeding challenges
- Colicky or difficult to console baby
- Feeling sad, hopeless or overwhelmed
- Feeling anxious or panicky
- Having trouble sleeping
- Feelings of being alone
- Isolating from friends and family
- Unexplained anger or irritability
- Fear of harming self or baby
- Feeling that you are not a good parent
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Feeling out of control
MEET OUT THERAPISTS
PERINATAL SUPPORT GROUPS
Perinatal support groups may be difficult to find locally, but online options exists where you can share and connect with other parents, live.
For more information, visit:
Non-Emergency PSI Helpline:
24/7 Maternal Mental Health Hotline:
Dial 988 for suicide and crisis lifeline